Homes and Condos For Rent in Fort Lauderdale
There are many rental options in the Fort Lauderdale area including single family homes, condos and townhomes. Homes for rent in Fort Lauderdale and the surrounding area are in high demand, so it is important to consult with a real estate professional to assist with your search.
Rental Tips and Facts
- Check your credit! Many landlords and condominium associations require credit checks and they can deny you a rental if your credit is not to their satisfaction. It is a good idea to know your credit before starting your search. If you have credit issues you may be able to still rent, but will need to explain your credit problems or get your credit repaired. If you have bad credit you can offer to pay multiple months of rent in advance and hope that the landlord will work with you. Note: All credit agencies are required by law to provide you with a free credit report once a year.
- Its a good idea to start your rental property search with a local web site (like this one) to get an idea of prices, styles and locations. Once you narrow down your criteria you should contact an agent to set up your showings and assist you with your paperwork.
- If you have pets you may have a difficult time renting a condo, especially if you have a large dog. Many condo communities don’t allow pets and the ones that do typically allow only smaller dogs and cats (under 20 pounds). Make sure you tell your agent what kind of pets you have so they can provide you with pet friendly options. Single family landlords are usually more cooperative with pet owners, but they usually require an additional pet deposit or “pet-rent”.
- If you plan on renting a condo, be prepared for an association interview. It is usually not a big deal, but it can slow down the process and delay your move in date.
- Most landlords require first month, last month and a one month security deposit to move in. That’s 3 months of rent that is due at lease signing. Make sure you have the funds available or you could lose your rental.