This is a really fun and healthy recipe that is easy and quick to make. You can cook this in the oven or on the grill. The best part of the recipe is that everyone gets their own ready to eat foil pack, so each one can be different! For example, if you have picky eaters who don’t like broccoli, then substitute a vegetable or starch they do like. Zucchini, carrots and brussel sprouts all work well. If someone has a shellfish allergy, then try mahi mahi instead of shrimp. Or, make a bunch of different packets and serve family style. The possibilities are endless. Here is the basic recipe for shrimp and broccoli. Once suggestion, since shrimp cooks pretty fast, use the largest fresh Florida shrimp you can find. This recipe yields 2 foil packs, enough for 2 people. If you have more people, just adjust the recipe accordingly.
- 1 lb fresh Florida shrimp
- 1 large head of broccoli cut into florets
- 2 tbs butter (olive oil or ghee)
- 2 tbs chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tbs chopped garlic
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper or cayenne pepper (if you like it spicy)
- 1 lemon
- Fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven or grill to 425 degrees.
- Peel and devein the shrimp (tails on or off).
- Cut 2 sheets about 12″ x 12″ and lay them on the counter.
- Mix all the spices in a bowl (except garlic) and sprinkle the spice mixture over the shrimp.
- Divide the shrimp in half and spread on to foil sheets.
- Spread broccoli florets on foil next to shrimp.
- Add garlic over everything, sprinkle with half the lemon juice and red pepper.
- Chop butter into little cubes and spread over everything.
- Add chicken stock to each packet and wrap up packets, loosely crimping the ends. Leave space for heat to circulate inside.
- Place foil packs on baking sheet (oven) or directly on the grill grate.
- Cook for about 15 minutes and garnish with fresh parsley and lemon slices.