Important Considerations When Buying Waterfront Real Estate
- What type of boat do you have, or more importantly what type of boat might you have in the future? Docking at your property as well as navigating to and from your dock are the most important considerations for boaters. Your agent should be able to quickly and accurately determine the bridge heights, canal widths, depths and property setbacks to make sure your property is easily accessible and that you can legally dock your boat there.
- What type of boating activities do you enjoy? If you’re an avid fisherman or scuba diver then getting out to the open water quickly may be important to you. Do you know how long it might take to access the nearest inlet? Your waterfront specialist can help you determine estimated travel times during different times of year. Yes, speed limits are different during manatee season. For you cruisers who just “enjoy the journey” we can help you find the best waterfront attractions including restaurants, marinas and sand bars.
- What is the condition of the dock and seawall? Will you need a boat lift? Well maintained seawalls and docks can last a very long time, but what if you are faced with buying a property in disrepair? A good agent will understand the local codes and zoning, as well as environmental issues to be aware of. When necessary we can also introduce you to local marine contractors and inspectors.
The Waterfront Property Specialist Training CurriculumOur comprehensive training curriculum covers every aspect of waterfront property brokerage in South Florida and includes regular continuing education on changing codes and regulations. Even the most experienced agents can’t know every detail of our waterfront, but they should understand the basics and be able to access the information you need to make informed decisions. Here are just a few of the topics we cover in our curriculum:
- Local Zoning, Ordinances and Building Codes
- Waterfront Property Accessibility
- Understanding Our Local Inland Waterways
- Marine Construction
- Environmental Considerations
- Advanced Waterfront Property Search Techniques
- Listing and Marketing Waterfront Property For Sale