Yes it’s that time of year again and we find ourselves in another hurricane season. If you are new to the area or if you find yourself visiting during an approaching hurricane here are some tips on how you should prepare in advance of the storm.
1. At the first sign of any hurricane approaching it’s a good idea to go out and pick up the basics before the shelves are emptied. 5-7 days ahead of the storm make sure that you have your supplies for at least 3 days for everyone in the house including pets.
2. Stock up on water, about 3 gallons a day is a good estimate per person. You may also want to fill your bathtub with water in case you need water for flushing the toilets.
3. Start to get your canned goods and non perishable items in case of widespread power outages.
4. Get some gas for your grill.
5. Check your storm shutters. Make sure your shutters are operational and that you you have panels for all windows.
6. Make sure you have refills for any medications for you or your pets.
7. If you plan on leaving for the storm know where you are going. Leaving sooner is better than later as hotels and flights get booked up and could get cancelled.
8. Make sure you have a plan for your pets. Always take them with you or to a shelter that allows pets. Never leave them at home unattended.
9. Once the storm is 2-3 days out it’s time to protect the outside of your home. Make sure you trim any loose tree limbs and secure patio furniture.
10. Make sure you have a flashlight, batteries, cash, and first aid supplies.
11. Put a plan in place for how you will communicate with family members during and after the storm. Texting and social media are usually best since cell phone towers can sometimes become overloaded.
For these tips and others please visit the website: https://www.ready.gov/hurricanes
Stay Informed and Stay Safe