Top 10 Healthy Things to Do at Home
Here is my top 10 list of things that you can do to stay busy at home while staying safe. The focus of this list is improving mental and physical health through exercise, learning new things and increased intellectual stimulation. If you manage to embrace just one of these ideas then hopefully your “Stay Home” experience will be a better one.
1. Learn how to manage your stress (WebMD) – Lets face it, these are stressful times. Do you know the signs of stress and how to manage it? Many of the ideas in this blog post will help with stress, but here are a couple ideas from WebMD.
2. Take advantage of a Meditation App – Mediation has many benefits like reducing stress and controlling anxiety. But did you know mediation can even improve sleep and control pain? And, like many things today, there is an app for that. Find one that works best for you.
3. Learn how to take professional quality pictures on your iPhone – The cameras on the newer iPhones are pretty amazing. Are you using yours to its full potential? Here are some free tips from Apple and if you want to get serious, try one of the new online courses.
4. Set up a home gym – Home gyms may be the new norm, and you don’t need a lot of space or a huge budget to set one up. Start with a workout mat and YouTube and build it from there.
5. Try an online yoga class – Yoga has gained in popularity over the years, but studios are cramped and hardly able to practice social distancing. Try online or streaming classes for a physical and mental workout at any skill level. Support your local studios first and check to see if they have moved online. If not, there are plenty of options out there.
6. Do a puzzle – Jigsaw puzzles a true workout for your brain, and are both relaxing and rewarding. Yes, really, puzzles are all the rage!
7. Write in a journal – A great way to keep your thoughts organized and clear your mind is to write them down in a journal. Expressing yourself in a personal place is a wonderful way to stay sane. Fortunately there are plenty of journal options from old school paper to electronic options.
- How to start writing a journal
- Use Evernote for keeping an electronic journal
- Try Daybook (app) and My Daybook (Alexa Skill)
8. Enjoy the extra time for reading – With TV, devices and social media all around us its hard to find time for reading, which is a shame because it can be so relaxing and mentally stimulating. Join a book of the month club or try the hi-tech tablet and audible versions from Amazon.
9. Learn to Play a Musical Instrument – You’re never too old to learn to play music and after all, music is food for the soul. Playing an instrument allows you to express yourself and manage stress, enables you to express your buried emotions, boosts creativity and teaches you discipline and coordination. Too uncoordinated to play an instrument? Get a karaoke machine!
10. Start walking – Even if you decided to setup that home gym, its still important to get some outside exercise and walking may be your only option right now. Regular walks can make your heart stronger, lower your blood pressure and strengthen your bones. Walking also eases stress, improves sleep, and can boost your outlook on life.